Coronavirus (COVID-19) Announcements & Resources
NACA Statements on COVID-19
Training During COVID-19
In response to the outbreak and spread of the novel coronavirus, COVID-19, the NACA Board has authorized a free trial membership for all non-member Animal Care & Control Professionals. This membership will allow you to access NACA’s no-cost resources as well as our no-cost and discounted online training options during this crisis! We encourage YOU to join today and get the resources and information you need!
- NACA COVID-19 Position Statements: This page has up to date statements from the National Care & Control Association on topics related to Animal Services and COVID-19.
- Center for Disease Control & Prevention: Up to date information from the CDC on the COVID19 Pandemic
- COVID-19 Shelter Tool Kit: This page has a variety of resources on COVID-19 compiled by the Humane Society of the United States and The Association for Animal Welfare Advancement
- Intake Diversion for Field Officers: Proactive measures and steps to be taken by Animal Control Officers, Law Enforcement Officers, and other field operations personnel to mitigate intake via field operations
- Return to Owner Strategies: Proactive measures for reuniting pets and people
- Managed Intake: Operational guidance and justification for controlling shelter intake in all situations
- Delay/Divert Intake: What options can you put in place to delay intake while you ensure you have appropriate resources
- Pet Retention: Methods for diverting intake by aiding owners to keep their pets
- Emergency Foster Application: As we face the current pandemic it is apparent that we must reduce animal inventory in our facilities in order to ensure capacity for new animals that must be housed in the facility as well as allow for limited staffing levels appropriate time/resources to care for the animals in the physical shelter. One way of accomplishing this is through emergency foster placement.
- American Pets Alive- COVID-19 Shelter Preparedness Guide: This page has an extensive list of sample documents, position statements, and protocols from agencies across the United States
- Best Friends COVID-19 Guide: Resources including lists of upcoming webinars with key information
- American Veterinary Medical Association- COVID-19: Up to date information from the American Veterinary Medical Association on COVID-19 and its implication for the veterinary community
- Sample SOPs (pdf):
- American Pets Alive: COVID-19 Animal Shelter Preparedness Guide
- Animal Sheltering: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Shelter Kit
- Best Friends: COVID-19 Resources for Animal Shelters and Rescue Groups
- COVID-19 Response: Limiting Non-Emergency Surgery in Shelters and Spay Neuter Clinics – Articles – University of Wisconsin Madison Shelter Medicine Program